Christy’s Overnight Slow Cooker OatmealMon Mar 7, 2016
- 1 cup steel cut oats (do not use old fashioned oats)
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- optional: 1 cup dried fruit of choice (such as raisins or unsweetened dried cranberries)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar
- toppings: strawberries and blueberries (or your favorite fresh fruit!)
- Place the steel cut oats, water, skim milk, dried fruit (if using), brown sugar, butter, vanilla, and cinnamon sugar in a slow cooker. Stir together, cover, and turn the slow cooker on low heat.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Before serving, top with fresh fruit and additional ground cinnamon, if desired.
Notes: To prepare without a slow cooker, reduce the water by 1/2 cup and use a large pot or Dutch oven to prepare the recipe on the stovetop. Add 3 1/2 cups water and 1/2 cup skim milk to the pot and bring the liquid to a boil. Slowly stir in the steel cut oats, reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered, stirring periodically, for 30 minutes, until the oats are cooked. Then stir in the dried fruit, brown sugar, butter, vanilla, and cinnamon sugar before serving.